Tuesday, January 12, 2010

design i take for granted *part one*




Over the last couple of months I have been noticing an increase of no name products (un)gracing the shelves of my local supermarket. Their generic and bland product labels scared me into thinking of a world devoid of colour and design found on the grocery shelf.

It did make me stop and think about some designs on products I use and see daily but most often just take for granted. So without further adieu let me begin 'Design I take for Granted' - Part One. also known as DITFG


**Redheads Matches** Yes, the humble box of Australian redheads matches. The "Redheads" logo was created in 1946 and first used on matchbox packaging in 1947. The logo depicts the head and shoulder of a redheaded woman and has had four major makeovers since that time with a number of collectors series also produced. I think it would be a sad day if we lost our iconic redhead to a generic no name label.

While on the subject of matchbox design, you really should have a look at this flickr page with the most beautiful collection of 1950s and 60s Eastern European matchbox designs (featured above). You can also read more about them here.

Photo credits: Maraid's Photostream.
The redhead matchbox just above has stayed with me from the 90's, unfortunately I can't remember which collectors series it was from but I like it!

14 comments:

Shelley Trbuhovich said...

how brilliant, angela! thanks for the reminder. i am going to check out a little more of the packaging around my home in the next few weeks. sometimes being surrounded by such awesome images at work, i forget that much of our everyday products get left by the wayside in terms of label design. x

cerebral e said...

I love the redheads box too. I have a little one sitting on a frame on my photowall. My parents had clearly been hoarding it from the 70s or 80s...it doesn't even have any safety warnings on the box!

Kickcan & Conkers said...

I collect these eastern European matchbox labels too - love them!

Siobhan said...

Redheads! These bring back so many memories of my childhood. My parents both smoked cigarettes and the lighter du jour was a Redhead. I remember they sometimes has match games printed on the back - puzzles to solve by moving matches around.

yardage girl said...

Great idea - thanks for reminding us of the really good design in everyday products. I've loved redheads matches since I was very young - probably because I'm a rehead too and it made it seem OK to have red hair in a time when others said it wasn't. Nic xx

Gracie said...

What a great post, it's true I go to the supermarket and rarely think about the effort that has gone into designing packages.
I do have to say though, sometimes I do buy a product purely because it has an interesting design (but i don't realise when I'm doing it).
Looking forward to seeing more of these.

Jacinta said...

Those no brand products will eventually take over the world if we aren't careful! I do try to steer clear of buying them, though the prices are often tempting.
I love those iconic brands that have been around for ages. It would be a shame to lose them. Redheads is such a classic.
Cheers Angela.

Vic said...

OMG, what a coincidence!

I was perusing the junk mail yesterday when I pointed out a page to my boy of entirely red & white "homebrand" stuff & said "Won't it be depressing when this is all there is....?"

I have a book of kitchy kids food, a tachen book I think, awesome design in there, and awesome products from yesteryear, when it wasn't frowned upon to have sugar coated double sugar dipped sugary sugar balls for breakfast with sugar on top.... ;)tho

inaluxe said...

Having grown up with redhead matches, and being totally in love with that red head image as a child, it's so wonderful to still see them around. I used to love the different designs they'd bring out. Sometimes she'd have slightly longer, or more curly hair, or longer lashes, etc. Fantastic post by the way! Love it. :)

red road studio said...

i think it's because they don't have that sterile computer finish you can get now - they look as if they have been produced by graphic artists - love the colours and the simplicity

CurlyPops said...

The redheads design is certainly a classic. It was actually included in the one of my design subjects at uni many moons ago (way before computers were being used for everything), and we still had to do everything by hand.

teddybearswednesday said...

Oh my goodness I love those eastern European matchboxes. But I love Redheads too, and I love the collector series they do from time to time.x

Steph Bond-Hutkin said...

Great minds think alike! I love Redheads too. Here's my little post about the design with some images you might like from the early days. Last year was Redheads' 60th birthday! x

Kitty said...

You reminded me of my collection. I've put it up on my blog.
Have a lovely week